Become A Teacher: Lead, Change and Inspire
RichmondCC now has two new associate degrees that will make it easier for aspiring teachers to become part of North Carolina's teacher pipeline. "Growing Our Own" Teachers iniative works with our local school division to find students who dream of teaching right in their home communities.
How does it work?
Students who participate in the Growing Our Own Teachers Program will complete two years of coursework at RichmondCC. Upon graduation from RichmondCC, the remaining two years of coursework will be completed at the senior institution.
Growing Our Own Teachers program will use Guided Pathways of instruction to make sure all requirements are met and students are on track for graduation at the end of four years.
Who is eligible?
- Current high school (dual-enrolled) students enrolled in the following school divisions are eligible: Richmond and Scotland counties.
- Students who have graduated from any high school or have equivalent are eligible.
- Students enrolled in Early College through their home school division and RichmondCC are also eligible to participate.
What are the benefits?
- Pay less in total tuition: Students pay RichmondCC tuition for two years.
- Close to home: You will be able to complete your field-work and student teaching in your home school division.
- Support: You will benefit from student supports created just for the Growing Our Own Teachers program, including faculty advisors at both RichmondCC and the senior institution.
- Teaching Jobs: Students in the Growing Our Own Teachers program will have the possibility to work with their home school divisions for job placement after graduation.
- Richmond Community College Scholarship Opportunities
- RichmondCC Guarantee
- College Transfer Scholarship Opportunities
- Commit to Teacher Education Scholarship - All Teacher Education majors and minors entering Catawba College are eligible for the Commit to Teacher Education Scholarship. Students may also be eligible for merit-based scholarships.
Resources for Future Teachers
- NC Teacher Licensure
- Teacher Certification by State
- Praxis Resources
- ETS Praxis Bulletin
- ETS Praxis FAQs
- Praxis Fee Waiver
Participating Colleges and Universities
University of North Carolina Colleges and Universities (Public):
North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities (Private):
- Barton College
- Belmont Abbey College
- Breavard College
- Campbell University
- Catawba College
- Gardner Webb University
- Greensboro College
- Guilford College
- High Point University
- Lees-McRae College
- Livingstone College
- Mars Hill University
- Meredith College
- Methodist University
- Montreat College
- Pfeiffer University
- Queens University of Charlotte
- Salem College
- Sain Augustine's University
- Shaw University
- St. Andrews University
- University of Mount Olive
- William Peace University
- Wingate University