Work-Based Learning allows students to apply what they have learned in the classroom in an actual workplace setting. Students work for an employer in a position directly related to their field of study allowing them to gain practical work experience while pursuing a degree
Work-based learning helps students develop employability competencies – competencies that the college has identified as critical to success in the workplace:
- Work Ethic
Students are awarded academic credit when their work-based learning is completed. For students to enroll in the work-based learning program, they must meet the eligibility requirements and be currently enrolled in a program approved for work-based learning.
Programs Approved for Work-Based Learning Include:
- Accounting & Finance
- Air Conditioning, Heating, & Refrigeration Technology
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Integrated Machining
- Cyber Security
- Electronics Engineering
- Healthcare Management
- Human Services
- Industrial Systems Technology
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechatronic Engineering
- Office Administration
- Welding Technology
To be eligible to participate in work-based learning, students must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Must be enrolled in a curriculum program that includes work-based learning for academic credit (requirement or elective).
- Must have a grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- Must obtain approval from their faculty advisor.
- Must be in good standing with the college and have no major level Student Code of Conduct violations.
- Have legal authorization to work in the United States. If on a student visa, check to make sure the ability to work and hours are available. U.S. Law requires employers to verify the legal work eligibility of all new employees within three days of employment.
- Must be willing to work at the approved work-based learning site a minimum of 160 hours.
- Must have completed at least 9-14 credit hours of core classes in their program of study.
- Must meet employer requirements. For example, criminal background check, drug testing, health screening, etc.
For more information, contact Patsy Stanley at email@example.com or 910-410-1830.