Open Menu

All Richmond Community College applicants must complete the standard admissions procedures in addition to other requirements listed below.

How To Apply

Permanent Residents

Applicants who are legal permanent residents of the United States must provide current valid documentation (Permanent Resident Card) from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) before being admitted to Richmond Community College. Employment Authorization Cards are not accepted as proof of residency.

Undocumented Immigrants

For the purposes of this Section, "undocumented immigrant" means any immigrant who is not lawfully present in the United States.


  • Applicant graduated from a United States public high school, private high school, or home school that operates in compliance with State or local law;
  • Applicant is not considered a North Carolina resident for tuition purposes and must be charged out of state tuition whether or not they reside in North Carolina;
  • Applicant will not be eligible to receive professional licenses associated with the academic programs.
  • Students lawfully present in the United States shall have priority over any undocumented immigrant in any class or program of study when capacity limitations exist.

DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)

  • Individuals with DACA classification are not eligible for the NC resident tuition status
  • Applicants must provide proof of deferred action status by submitting one of the below items:  
    • Notice of Action (I-797) (showing approval of “deferred action” status).
    • Employment Authorization Document (Card) (I-766) (annotated “C14” or “C33”).

NOTICE: As the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) updates procedures following policy updates, court orders, etc., Richmond Community College may require more information from applicants.

  • Applicants with DACA classification will not be eligible to receive professional licenses associated with the academic programs.

J-2 Visitors

J-2 visitors may enroll in curriculum academic programs after completing all standard admissions requirements. A copy of the student’s current J-2 Visa is required. Students may enroll full-time or part-time and discontinue their program at any time. J-2 visitors are required to pay out-of-state tuition. J-2 visitors who have not completed their academic program by the time the principal J-1's status ends may petition for a change to F-1 student status, provided they are not subject to the Two-Year Home Residency Requirement. F-1 student status is not guaranteed.

Students Seeking F-1 Visa to study in the U.S.

To study in the United States, applicants need a Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. To attend Richmond Community College, the I-20 must be issued by Richmond Community College.

To apply for admission to Richmond Community College (RichmondCC) an applicant must:

1. Complete I-20 Request Form

  • Include a copy of your passport showing your full legal name
  • Include a copy of your current I-20 if transferring institutions
  • Include information regarding your dependents (if applicable)
  • Include evidence of financial support
  • Include Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT®) scores. A minimum total score of 60 is required. Equivalent tests may be accepted upon approval of the Registrar. Applicants from countries where English is the language of instruction or who already live in the vicinity of Richmond Community College may request to waive this requirement. Waivers are granted on a case-by-case basis.

2. Complete the Residency Determination Service (RDS) application  (In RDS Online Interview, when asked “Do you claim to be a NC Resident?” – Answer “NO”. RDS will assign an RCN (Residency Certification Number) that can be used to complete college admission application.)

3. Complete and submit an application for admission to RichmondCC

4. Send a certified transcript of academic records with a certified English translation (if applicable) and U.S. equivalency of high school completion. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide a translation of all transcripts and to secure the services of an independent academic credential evaluation provider.

Common credentialing agencies/translating services:

5. Send official certified transcripts of post secondary education with a certified English translation (if applicable) if requesting transfer credit. Please note that only institutions that are recognized by the US Department of Education as regionally accredited will be considered for transfer credit. A current list of extraterritorial institutions that may be regionally accredited can be found at

6. Take the College placement test to measure performance in the following areas: reading, writing, and math. The student will be made aware of any deficiencies in these areas and will be assigned to the appropriate developmental education course.

  1. Certain programs have special admission requirements. A college counselor can provide additional information.
  2. An applicant who holds an associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution may not be required to take the College placement test. Developmental credit will be given based upon the student’s previous math and English credits.
  3. Students who test into DRE-096 Integrated Reading and Writing I, DRE-097 Integrated Reading and Writing II, DRE-098 Integrated Reading and Writing III must take a Computer Skills assessment during the admissions process. Students who score below the cut score on the Computer Skills Assessment will be required to take CIS-070 Fundamentals of Computing.
  4. Talk with a counselor about your College placement test results and your educational goals.

Current F-1 Students at Richmond Community College

Maintaining your F-1 Status

Please note that the below requirements are for Richmond Community College. Please visit for additional requirements.

  • Meet with the school official prior to the start of each semester
  • Do not let your I-20 expire
  • Must be a full-time student. Full-time students are enrolled at least 12 credit hours.
  • Take no more than one online course each semester
  • Make academic progress towards your program
  • Notify the school official prior to any changes in program or schedule
  • Not work in the US



Get Started Today

Visit Us or Apply Now