Open Menu

FAQs About Richmond Community College

Here are some questions that we are frequently asked about Richmond Community College in Hamlet & Laurinburg, NC. If these don’t answer your questions, feel free to give us a call at (910)410-1700 or contact us online –– then, you can schedule a time to come visit our campuses.

What is the difference between credit and noncredit courses?

Richmond Community College offers curriculum credit courses that lead to certificates, diplomas, and degrees. These courses are traditionally offered during the fall and spring semesters for 16 weeks and may be offered during the summer term in eight-week sessions. Students are awarded academic credit for these courses. Many of these courses transfer to colleges and universities.

Our non-credit courses are short-term courses that meet a variety of needs and interests and are offered under our Corporate and Continuin Education area. CClasses range from personal enrichment offerings (such as yoga or guitar) to classes that coule lead to career opportunities (such as industrial mechanics, nurse aid or welding). Students receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for completing these courses and may earn certificates that apply toward specific licenses and license renewal credits. Law enforcement officers, firefighters, and public school teachers can take WED courses to maintain their licenses. These courses do not build toward degrees or diplomas.

What program is going to earn me the most money?

When selecting a major, it’s often best to study something you like, rather than something you think will earn you a great deal of money. Look at your interests. What courses did you enjoy in high school? What things do you do well? Are you going to remain in this area or are you willing to move to get your dream job? Visit our Career and Transfer Center to explore career fields and determine the diploma or degree that will help you find a job you will enjoy.

How many points do I need to get into the nursing program?

Enrollment in the Associate Degree Nursing program is limited to 60 to 70 slots per year based upon the number of students currently enrolled in the second year of the program. The Practical Nursing program is limited to 20 slots per year. Acceptance into each program is a competitive process based upon the number of points a student attains. Points are given for completing high school, completing college, CNA certification, TEAS test scores and grades earned in specific college courses. Students with the most points are selected to enroll. Since different students apply each year, the number of points changes with each group of students applying. As a result, there is no set number of points that guarantees a student enrollment in the program. There is no waiting list for the nursing programs.

Can I transfer from RichmondCC to a university?

If you are interested in transferring to a specific college or university, RichmondCC’s counselors will help you find contacts at those institutions who can give you information about what courses they will accept from RichmondCC. The North Carolina Community College System has an agreement with the NC University System that guarantees graduates of RichmondCC with a 2.0 grade point average or above admission into one of the institutions of the university system.

The Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degree programs offer you the same courses as the freshman and sophomore years of study at a university. Many of the Associate in Applied Science degree programs such as Accounting, Business Administration, Early Childhood Education, and Engineering Technology programs transfer to senior institutions.

How long will it take to complete my degree?

The college catalog gives you guidelines on which courses to take to complete your degree in two years. Courses are offered in sequence, so some courses are offered only in the fall or spring semesters. Some courses have prerequisites, which mean you must have completed certain courses before taking these courses. Once enrolled, you will be assigned an advisor who will help you make the right course selection. If you receive a Pell grant, be aware there is a time frame in which you must complete your degree. Stay in contact with our Financial Aid Office representatives to avoid issues.

Get Started Today

Visit Us or Apply Now