Richmond Community College will once again be honoring veterans this fall with an Our Heroes’ Tree® program at the Cole Auditorium.
Our Heroes’ Tree® is a national initiative that bridges military and civilian communities by honoring the service and sacrifice of U.S. service members and their families. Communities, classrooms, families and groups come together to discover and celebrate the names and stories of family members, friends, neighbors and others who have served or are serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. They create remembrance ornaments that are hung on a tree honoring the legacies of American service people.
Ornament Making Sessions
The College and other partnering organizations will hold several ornament making sessions during the month of September.
- Sept. 3 from 12:15 to 2:15 p.m. at the Ellerbe Senior Center
- Sept. 4 from 12 to 1 p.m. at the East Rockingham Senior Center
- Sept. 5 from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. in the Student Lounge at RichmondCC Hamlet campus.
- Sept. 8 at 2:30 p.m. at the VFW Rockingham
- Sept. 11 from 12 to 1 p.m. at the Hamlet Senior Center
- Sept. 18 from 11:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the Student Lounge at RichmondCC Hamlet campus
- Sept. 19 from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Richmond County Hospice Conference Room
- Sept. 24 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the Student Lounge at RichmondCC Hamlet campus
- Sept. 25 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Roberdale Baptist Church "Girls in Action" program
While on campus, people are encouraged to stop by the College Library and check out a display of resources that RichmondCC has available for veterans, services members, military families and professionals working with these groups.
Sept. 26 at 10:30 a.m. - Tree Presentation
RichmondCC will hold a special ceremony Thursday, Sept. 26, at 10:30 a.m. to present the tree and its ornaments to the public. This event is free and open to the public. For more information about where to get materials to make an ornament for the tree, contact Sheri Dunn-Ramsay at (910) 410-1907 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to register.
Hosted in more than 30 states and on U.S. military bases in 10 countries, Our Heroes’ Tree® was created by Marlene Lee and Stephanie Pickup in 2005 to show appreciation for the U.S. Armed Forces. They have worked with RichmondCC to develop the program that will be presented on Sept. 26 and provided an ornament template for people to use to create their ornaments. However, people are encouraged to design their own ornaments.
The tree will remain on display in the Cole Auditorium lobby until Veterans Day on Nov. 11. People can pick up their ornaments the week immediately after Veterans Day when the Our Heroes’ Tree® display ends.