Richmond Community College Testing Services
Richmond Community College utilizes the North Carolina Diagnostic and Placement Test (also known as the ACCUPLACER) to measure the academic preparedness of incoming students. The NC_DAP is a computerized testing system. Richmond Community College uses scores from the NC_DAP test to determine the beginning Math and English courses in which students will be the most successful. This assessment was developed by the College Board to provide information on reading, sentence, arithmetic and elementary algebra skill levels. You can take this assessment on the Main Campus in Hamlet or at the Honeycutt Center at our Laurinburg campus. This assessment is a requirement prior to registering for classes unless you meet the following criteria:
- Applicants who have taken the SAT prior to March 2016 should earn a score of 500 on the SAT Critical Reading or English section to be exempt from the writing, reading and revised editing portions of the test.Applicants who have taken the SAT after March 2016 should have a score of 480 on Evidence-Based Reading and Writing to be exempt from the writing, reading and revised editing portion of the placement test. (SAT scores expire after 5 years)
- Applicants who have taken the SAT prior to March 2016 should earn a 500 on the SAT Math to be exempt from the math portion of the placement test. Applicants who have taken the SAT after March 2016 should have a score or 530 or higher to be exempt from the math portion of the placement test. (SAT scores expire after 5 years)
- Applicants who earn an ACT score of 22 on Reading or 18 on English will be exempt from the reading and sentence skills portions of the test.
- Applicants who earn an ACT score of 22 on Math will be exempt from the math portion of the placement test.
- Applicants who meet Multiple Measures criteria: the student must have graduated in the class of 2013 or after; must have had an unweighted GPA of 2.6 or higher; and must have completed 4 ENG and 4 MAT courses.
- Applicants who have received an associate or higher degree are exempt from testing with an official transcript from a regionally-accredited institution.
- Additional information concerning exemptions is located under Placement Testing Policies in the Richmond Community College Student Handbook.
NOTE: Students who graduated in 2013 or after are strongly advised to bring an official high school transcript and meet with one of our counselors BEFORE signing up to take the college placement test. This will help ensure that students who meet Multiple Measures criteria are exempt from the placement test.
When Can I Schedule My Placement Test?
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to complete an application (preferably online) to the college before taking the placement test. Applicants may also complete an application on the day of testing.
How Do I Register to Take the Placement Test?
To register to take the NC_DAP/ACCUPLACER at RichmondCC, call for an appointment at (910) 410-1730 (Hamlet, Main Campus) or (910) 410-1831 (Honeycutt Center, Laurinburg).
What If I Can’t Take the Test on Campus?
If you don’t live in the area and aren’t able to come to our Hamlet or Laurinburg campus to take the NC_DAP/ACCUPLACER, we offer remote testing. The remote testing must be conducted in a college or university test center, high school or library. Applicants interested must secure a proctor at a local education institution, then complete the Student Request for Remote Testing form. After the Director of Counseling has received the form, he or she will contact the prospective proctor and send the necessary forms to complete. Once this is done, the applicant will receive an NC_DAP/ACCUPLACER Test Voucher, which he or she will present to the proctor at the approved site to take the test.
How Can I Prepare for the Placement Test?
Can I Retake the Placement Test?
YES! NC_DAP/ACCUPLACER scores are valid for five years, and applicants may retake all or part of the placement test once in a 12-month period. Additional information concerning retesting is located under Placement Testing Policies in the Richmond Community College Student Handbook.
How Much Does the Test Cost?
The initial NC_DAP/ACCUPLACER test is FREE. Retest fees are $2 per section and subject to change. Payment can be made in Student Services on the day of the test. If you are testing from a remote location, please contact Don Smeigh at (910) 410-1832 to arrange payment.
What Do I Need to Bring on Test Day?
Students must present a valid photo I.D. Acceptable identification is a document with both a photo and a name, such as a government issued identification card, passport, military, or school I.D. Calculators, dictionaries, earphones, cell phones and other aids are not allowed. The NC_DAP will take approximately three hours to complete.
Can I Transfer My Test Scores to Another College?
RichmondCC accepts NC_DAP/ACCUPLACER scores from other schools if the testing has occurred within the last five years. Score reports may be sent to the attention of the Office of Admissions.
Students who have taken the NC_DAP/ACCUPLACER at RichmondCC may request their scores be sent to another college. Students may come by Student Services and complete a request form or call and speak with a counselor. The counselor will verify the information, complete the form, and mail or fax it to the appropriate college.
If you have questions about testing accommodations, call our Disability Services Counselor at (910) 410-1730.