College Programs for Veterans at Richmond Community College
Richmond Community College is proud to partner with the Student Veterans Association to provide a great atmosphere for veterans to transition from soldier to student, as well as opportunities for community awareness and support.
Our educational programs are not only approved by the North Carolina State Approving Agency for the enrollment of persons eligible for education assistance benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, but they’re also flexible to the educational needs of veterans. Richmond Community College is a great college for veterans to further their education because we offer online classes, adult education and workforce development that is flexible to their needs.
How to Apply for VA Education Benefits at RCC
If you’re interested in applying for VA education benefits at RCC, proceed with the following steps:
- Review the Veterans Affairs Procedures in the RichmondCC Student Handbook.
- Apply for benefits with the U.S. Departmet of Veterans Affairs. If you need assistance completing the application, please contact our VA School Certifying Official at (910) 410-1727.
- Submit all official high school, college, and military transcripts to the RichmondCC Admissions Office. Official military transcripts can be requested through Joint Services Transcripts (JST). For Air Force transcripts visit http://www.au.af.mil/au/ccaf/transcripts.asp.
To be eligible to use VA educational benefits at RichmondCC, you must be meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy requirements, including GPA and 150% max time frame. Please refer to the RichmondCC SAP policy.
- Apply to Richmond Community College as a degree-seeking student. To be eligible for VA education benefits, you must be enrolled in an approved curriculum program and take only classes that are required for graduation in that program.
- After receiving your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA establishing your benefits, you must complete an Enrollment Certification Worksheet and Attendance Acknowledgement each semester. This worksheet must be completed with your final schedule. Please do not make changes to your schedule after submitting this worksheet, as it will delay your benefits. Be aware that the starting and ending dates of a course will affect your full-time status. You may not be considered full-time over the entire semester if your course starts late or ends early.
- Students receiving VA benefits should submit an Attendance Verification Worksheet every two weeks to the VA School Certifying Official. The Attendance Verification Worksheet should include all traditional in class classes and hybrid classes. Attendance for online classes are verified by the VA School Certifying Official. Failure to submit the Attendance Verification Worksheet could result in termination of your current VA education benefits. (Students receiving Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30), Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), Post-9/11 (Chapter 33), Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship and VET TEC still needs to verify your attendance on the last day of each month with the VA.)
8. If you are currently enrolled at RichmondCC and receiving benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30), Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), Post-9/11, Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship and VET TEC you need to verify your attendance on the last day of each month with the VA. You can do this by email, text, or calling 1-888-442-4551.
ArmyIgnitED is the virtual gateway for all eligible Active Duty, National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers to request Tuition Assistance (TA) online. The TA program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a soldier’s professional and personal self-development goals. Soldiers must request TA through ArmyIgnitED prior to the course start date. TA is requested and approved on a course-by-course basis.
Get your education started today by applying for veteran benefits at Richmond Community College. Feel free to contact our VA School Certifying Official, Crystal Shepard, at (910) 410-1727, email her at email@example.com or consult your local Veterans Services office for more information.
Veterans Services, Richmond County Office
125 S. Hancock Street
Rockingham, NC 28379
Phone: (910) 997-8232
Veterans Services, Scotland County Office
311 Yadkin Avenue
Laurinburg, NC 28352
Phone: (910) 277-2597