Please Note: Program changes effective 2019 Fall. Please see your advisor if working off of an older catalog.
The Practical Nursing curriculum prepares individuals with the knowledge and skills to provide nursing care to children and adults.
Students will participate in assessment, planning, implementing and evaluating nursing care.
Graduates are eligible to apply to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN), which is required for practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Employment opportunities include hospitals, rehabilitation/long term care/home health facilities, clinics and physicians’ offices.
Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
The Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) measures basic essential skills in the academic content area of reading, mathematics, science, English and language usage. The test is intended for use primarily with adult nursing program applicants. The objectives assessed on the TEAS exam are those which nurse educators deemed most appropriate and relevant to measure entry level skills and abilities of nursing program applicants. RichmondCC offers the TEAS VI monthly from June 1 to Jan. 31.
Test Fees & Scores
- Cost for the TEAS exam is $70 per each attempt. You can only test two times in one calendar year. You must wait 60 days between each test attempt.
- Scores are accepted June 1, 2020, to January 31, 2021. TEAS test scores will expire after 3 years.
TEAS Test Dates
- Every Thursday at 11am the TEAS will be offered starting September 10th through December 17th, except for November 26 (Thanksgiving Holiday). The TEAS will be offered on December 17th and then the school will close for the Holidays. The TEAS dates for January will be posted after the college reopens after the Holiday Break. You must request an appointment 24 hours in advance, walk-ins will not be allowed..
Honeycutt Center - Laurinburg
- Friday, October 9 - 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, October 23 - 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, November 6 - 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, November 20 - 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, December 4 - 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, December 18 - 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
To request a TEAS test appointment, email email@example.com. Please include your full name, RichmondCC student ID number or date of birth, phone number and which available date you would like to schedule your test.
Fall 2021 Admission Requirements for Practical Nursing Diploma Program Traditional One Year Pathway August 2021 to July 2022 (Day Classes)
These items below are required for the PN selection process by January 31, 2021:
- Apply for admission to Richmond Community College and NC Residency Application
- Successfully completed or exempted from DRE 098 & DMA 010 through DMA 050 or successfully completed or exempted from MAT 003 Tier 2, ENG 002
- Request official high school transcript or GED scores to be sent to Office of Admissions
- Request official transcripts from all colleges and schools since High School to be sent to Office of Admissions
- Complete an application for the Nursing Program(s) between June 1, 2020 to January 31, 2021 to start in Fall Semester 2021 (Must complete before taking the TEAS)
- Take the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) with a minimum composite score of 55 (60 composite score if in a previous Practical Nursing program)
- Must have a calculated a Program GPA of 2.5. (GPA is calculated based on courses completed in Box 1 of the PN point sheet. A PN applicant must have at least 10 credit hours completed or the unweighted high school GPA will be used or cumulative GPA from a college degree from a regionally accredited college).
Once a Nursing Applicant has completed the Admission Requirements for PN listed above, the applicant will enter into a competitive admissions process based on a point system. Points are calculated in February 2021. A copy of the point sheet is sent to PN applicants who complete Admission Requirements along with further instructions on the remainder of the Admissions Process by March 31, 2021.