How to Graduate from Richmond Community College
All Richmond Community College students must successfully complete the required and elective courses needed to meet the minimum number of credit hours required for graduation from a curriculum.
Graduation exercises to award degrees and diplomas are held at the end of the spring semester every year. Dates for graduation exercises are listed in the Academic Calendar. During the last semester at RichmondCC, each graduating student is required to file an application for the degree or diploma, see his/her academic advisor to run a program evaluation for graduation requirements, and pay the graduation fee in the Business Office. The application form is also available in the Student Services Office.
Due date for graduation applications for the Spring 2019 ceremony: March 1
- May 10: Graduation Rehearsal will be held at the Cole Auditorium starting at 6 p.m.
- May 11: Two graduation ceremonies will be held at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
In order to receive a degree, diploma or certificate from RichmondCC a student must:
- Complete all of the required courses for the curriculum as listed in the catalog prior to the day of graduation exercises.
- Complete the minimum number of credit hours required for the degree, diploma or certificate.
- Have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA (grade point average) in courses for program of study and a 2.0 overall cumulative GPA.
- Have a grade of “C” or better in all core courses for the program of study. Core courses are listed with each curriculum requirements section of the catalog. College transfer degrees require a "C" or better in all courses.
- Have completed 25% of all required courses in residence at RichmondCC.
- Satisfy all financial obligations to RichmondCC.
Graduating students enrolled in a course(s) at another institution during their last semester must a) show proof of enrollment, b) have the instructor of the course give feedback to the Registrar regarding successful completion before the last week of the semester, and c) have an official transcript sent to the registrar’s office for transfer credit before the degree, diploma or certificate can be received.
RichmondCC students who are continuously enrolled may graduate under the program requirements listed in the catalog at the time of their enrollment or the requirements printed in the catalog the semester they are scheduled to graduate. In the event the catalog requirements are updated, the student can choose to graduate under a catalog published after their enrollment date. This request must be made with the Registrar’s Office by completing the Catalog Year Change Request form. However, a student may not revert to a prior catalog year. Under any catalog year, the courses must follow the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS) Curriculum Standards.
Students not continuously enrolled are required to meet the graduation requirements of the catalog that is current at the time of re-enrollment or the requirements printed in the catalog the semester they are scheduled to graduate. In the event the catalog requirements are updated, the student can choose to graduate under a catalog published after their re-enrollment date. This request must be made with the Registrar’s Office by completing the Catalog Year Change Request form. However, a student may not revert to a prior catalog year. Under any catalog year, the courses must follow the NCCCS Curriculum Standards.
Students entering in semesters other than fall, failing to take a full load, failing to take all courses as listed on the schedule and in the catalog, or taking required developmental courses may take longer to complete requirements for graduation than outlined in the catalog.
Students completing requirements for certificate programs must complete an Application for a Certificate form and return it to the Registrar’s office. Certificates will be mailed to the student at the end of the semester in which requirements are completed.