Open Menu

Statewide Agreement Strengthens RCC Transfer Program

Dec 12

An agreement managing transfer credits from Richmond Community College (RCC) to North Carolina public universities has been modified and strengthened to provide students a better opportunity to obtain a four-year degree at a more affordable rate.

College Transfer Agreements

Each school within the University of North Carolina system has developed, published and maintained plans that identify community college courses that will transfer from two-year institutions to four-year colleges for the seamless acquisition of a four-year degree.

“This new agreement goes a long way in taking the guesswork out of choosing classes that will transfer to the universities,” said RCC President Dr. Dale McInnis. “This is something that community colleges have struggled with for some time, and in the past it put students in a position where they would lose too many credits when they transferred. The new agreement is a great tool for us to advise our students so that the process is as efficient as possible.”

The statewide agreements only apply to Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degree programs, but RCC also has independent agreements with about 15 local universities that provide for smooth transitions in Associate in Applied Science (AAS) programs. Those programs include four-year degrees in nursing, engineering, criminal justice, education, business and agriculture.

“These agreements allow students to create a plan for their education where they attend two years of school at RCC before transferring to a larger university,” said Patsy Stanley, director of University Transfer Services at RCC. 

Stanley said advantages students get starting at RCC on the pathway to a four-year degree include lower tuition, simple commute from home to campus, and smaller classes sizes with approachable instructors. Registration for spring classes is being held Dec. 9 at RCC’s main campus in Hamlet.

Amended Agreement

The University of North Carolina system and North Carolina Community College System has had a Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) in place since 1997; however, the two entities voted to update the policy in February to make the process easier for community college students wishing to pursue a four-year degree.

Changes made in the updated policy include:

• Universities have agreed to a list of Universal General Education Transfer Courses that are guaranteed to transfer to each of the 16 institutions within the UNC system.

• Completion of the college transfer degree guarantees transfer of 60 semester hours of college credit, provided the student maintains a 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale and receives a grade of “C” or better on all CAA courses.

In addition, the new agreement grants junior status to transferees and assures admission to any of the 16 University of North Carolina institutions.

Gov. Pat McCrory has praised the updated policy.

“Thanks to the teamwork of North Carolina’s community colleges and public universities, thousands of students will attain their degrees faster and at a fraction of the cost,” McCrory said.

A similar statewide agreement is also being considered by N.C. Independent Colleges and Universities, which is a group comprised of the state’s 36 private, nonprofit, liberal arts, research and comprehensive colleges and universities. RCC already has individual agreements with several of those private schools, including Gardner-Webb, Barton College, Wingate University and more.

According to Stanley, the first step toward taking advantage of the transfer agreement is for students to choose a field of study and continue on the road map to success. If a student changes or does not follow the course they could end up taking longer to achieve their goals.

Advisors at RCC can assist students in effectively planning their educational path.

A complete list of RCC program agreements may be found under the Student Services tab at by clicking on College Transfer. Information about Dec. 9’s registration for spring semester may also be found online or by calling (910) 410-1775.