Application Process: To apply for a vacant position, complete the Richmond Community College application and submit it with photocopies or unofficial copies of your College transcripts. For positions where a high school diploma or equivalent is the highest required degree, then proof of high school/equivalency is required. Application and review process can be found on the RCC website. No action will be taken on submission of a resume or letter of interest only. Incomplete files will not be considered.
Methods to submit an application:
- In person: 1042 W. Hamlet Avenue, Hamlet, NC, DeWitt Building, 2nd floor.
- Mail: RCC, Attn: Human Resources, PO Box 1189, Hamlet, NC 28345.
- Fax: 910-582-7028.Applicant needs to ensure that documents are readable.
- E-mail: email@example.com. Application must contain a physical signature.
- Online submission at www.richmondcc.edu
General Description: The Counselor, under the authority of the Vice President for Student Services, provides comprehensive academic, personal, and placement counseling to students from diverse backgrounds. The counselor is responsible for helping students develop a career plan and assisting students with accessing available resources. This position will serve as the evening counselor for the college.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Position:
- Discuss with potential students their educational goals and career plans
- Guide perspective students through the admissions process which includes receiving applications, transcripts (if given), placement test administration and interpretation, reviewing curriculum offerings, and providing essential information concerning the college’s admissions policies.
- Provide personal and social counseling to students requesting such assistance and initiate referrals to other professionals and agencies when appropriate.
- Determine which placement test, if any, students require upon re-admission.
- Conduct initial review of transcripts
- Complete Admissions Counseling Reports, and other reports as requested.
- Advise students (in absence of Advisor) on matters related to their academic success
- Instruct students in use of WebAdvisor, Self-Service, & other college resources
- Work to resolve student issues, facilitating detailed or technical support from internal and external resources.
- Work as a co-advisor with the Student Government Association (SGA).
- Must be knowledgeable about curriculum programs and requirements, and transfer opportunities.
- Attend professional development activities as requested/approved/required by the Vice President for Student Services
- Participate in registration, orientation, drop/add and scheduling activities as needed.
- Must have a basic knowledge of financial aid and scholarship opportunities for students
- Teach ACA 122 College Transfer Success classes, if needed.
- Other duties. (Willingness to accept and fulfill additional assignments.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Understanding of and commitment to the unique nature and role of the community college with special reference to the total fulfillment of the open door policy. Understanding of and commitment to the mission and vision of Richmond Community College. Must be able to work as an effective member of the Student Services team. Physical ability sufficient to meet job requirements. Able to work with adults who are at various educational levels.
Minimum Education and Experience: Master’s degree in counseling required. Testing and career development experience or coursework in research and career development required. Experience in a college student services setting preferred. National Board Certification or NC Licensed Professional Counselor certification preferred.
Available: August 14, 2017. Pending State funds availability. Application deadline: July 21, 2017. To apply: the RCC Application, photocopies or unofficial copies of college transcripts must be received by the deadline date. Incomplete packets will not be considered. Successful applicant must pass a complete background check.
Salary: RCC Salary Scale. Starting range - $40,610-$50,012, commensurate with experience. Full-time.
Location: Richmond and Scotland service area.