Application Process: To apply for a vacant position, complete the Richmond Community College application and submit it with photocopies or unofficial copies of your College transcripts. For positions where a high school diploma or equivalent is the highest required degree, then proof of high school/equivalency is required. Application and review process can be found on the RCC website.
- No action will be taken on submission of a resume or letter of interest only.
- Incomplete files will not be considered.
- Methods to submit an application:
- In person: 1042 W. Hamlet Avenue, Hamlet, NC, DeWitt Building, 2nd floor.
- Mail: RCC, Attn: Human Resources, PO Box 1189, Hamlet, NC 28345
- Fax: 910-582-7028.Applicant needs to ensure that documents are readable.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Application must contain a physical signature.
- Online submission at www.richmondcc.edu
General Description of the Position:
The instructor for English as a Second Language (ESL), under the direct supervision of the Adult Education Retention Coordinator and the general supervision of the VP for Workforce & Economic Development, is responsible for the classroom instruction of ESL. The Instructor is responsible for appropriate ESL reporting to RCC and Morrison Correctional Institution personnel and keeping current with the scheduling of classes and their enrollment requirements.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Position:
- Instruct College and Career Readiness class in the college service area.
- Assess individual learner’s needs, set goals, and prescribe a plan of instructional activities to meet these goals.
- Develop lesson plans for group instruction using the class profile developed from student assessments.
- Evaluate and provide feedback on students’ progress, record grades, and revise plans as needed.
- Maintain accurate records, including LEIS paperwork, daily attendance, end-of-semester reconciliation, and other paperwork and reports as requested.
- Meet all deadlines for initial student enrollment, end-of-semester reconciliation, and others as assigned.
- Maintain accuracy and confidentiality of each student’s semester audit file. Gather necessary forms and documentation for state/federal mandates.
- Maintain security of instructional materials, tests, answer keys, and student audit files.
- Attend annual staff development, state, and local training to meet instructor training.
- Be familiar with available teaching materials and use a variety of materials and methods.
- Provide student recommendations for various testing services.
- Adhere to Richmond Community College and College and Career Readiness Programs policies and procedures.
- Maintain communication links between the College and Career Readiness Program staff and agency.
- Utilize daily planning periods and curriculum development days effectively.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Mathematics, English, Social Studies or related field. Prior teaching experience in Adult Basic Education or English as a Second Language and with immured groups preferred. Bilingual (English/Spanish) applicants preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Understanding of and commitment to unique nature and role of the College and Career Readiness Program, and the adult learner through knowledge of the methodology of providing individualized instruction. Ability and willingness to teach in a correctional facility.
Position Available: February 1, 2018. Application review begins: February 5, 2018. To apply: the RCC Application and copies of college transcripts must be received by the review date. Incomplete packets will not be considered. Successful applicant must pass a complete background check.
Salary: $15.00 to $18.00 per hour. Competitive salary commensurate with experience, Full-time Temporary position, approximately three (3) months.