Application Process: To apply for a vacant position, complete the Richmond Community College application and submit it with photocopies or unofficial copies of your College transcripts. For positions where a high school diploma or equivalent is the highest required degree, then proof of high school/equivalency is required. Application and review process can be found on the RCC website. No action will be taken on submission of a resume or letter of interest only. Incomplete files will not be considered.
Methods to submit an application:
- In person: 1042 W. Hamlet Avenue, Hamlet, NC, DeWitt Building, 2nd floor.
- Mail: RCC, Attn: Human Resources, PO Box 1189, Hamlet, NC 28345.
- Fax: 910-582-7028.Applicant needs to ensure that documents are readable.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Application must contain a physical signature.
- Online submission at www.richmondcc.edu
General Description of the Position:
The WED Braille Transcription Instructor, under the authority of the Vice President of Workforce and Economic Development and supervision of the Director of Adult Education and High School Equivalency, is responsible for the instruction and assessment of students at Scotland Correctional Institution enrolled in the Braille transcription certification program. Graduates of this program are eligible to complete the requirements to receive a Library of Congress Certificate in Literary Braille Transcription. The course includes lessons covering the braille alphabet, braille contractions, and UEB rules for writing braille. Upon successful completion of the program, graduates may work in the North Carolina Department of Public Safety’s Correctional Enterprise department as a certified Braille transcriptionist or obtain employment post release as a braille transcriptionist.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Position:
- Provide all classroom instruction for students in the Library of Congress Literary Braille program leading to certification in literary Braille, UEB.
- Monitor progress and proof assignments that include lessons that describe the elements of the braille system, give examples, and provide practice drills.
- Evaluated assignments and provide appropriate feedback under the guidelines provided by the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute.
- Provide instruction under the guidance of The Rules of Unified English Braille, Second Edition 2013
- Maintain documentation of student attendance and class enrollment in accordance with NC Community College policy and procedures.
- Engage in ongoing communication with prison administrative staff in implementing the Braille transcription program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
AA and/or AAS Degree preferred. NFB Braille Literary Transcription Certification required. A minimum of 2 years’ experience in Braille transcription required. Community college and/or adult education teaching experience highly preferred. Experience in correctional environments preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: A demonstrated understanding and commitment to the open door philosophy of the community colleges as well as a commitment to student learning is required. Ability to be employable in a NC Department of Public Safety facility required.
Position Available: Immediately. Application review begins: October 16, 2017. Open until filled. To apply: submit the RCC Application and unofficial copies of college transcripts. Incomplete packets will not be considered. Successful applicant must pass a complete background check.
Salary: RCC Salary Level 7. Starting range - $33,014 - $41,268, commensurate with experience, Full-time. M-Th.